Friday, January 27, 2012

Creating a Culture of Philanthropy

As sisters of DPhiE we often throw around phrases like, "thinking and acting for the greater good" and "developing a social consciousness in women" as things we do in our sisterhood from the college and throughout life.  I challenge us to think about how we do that.  Do we have programs that teach us how to choose the right charity for us? Do we have think tanks on impact of our donated hours of volunteerism?  Taking this one step further, is holding Deepher Dude, or fill-in-the-blank event here truly enough to classify our sisterhood as developing women to think and act for the greater good?  I say no.

Having spent the greater part of my career working in non-profit management with national philanthropies, like Boys & Girls Clubs and Ronald McDonald House, I have a depth of knowledge on giving your time, talents and treasure to an organization that will make great impact for the greater good.  When you look at all the ways you can support your passion, whether it be your local SPCA, Red Cross, your alma mater, or women's development through Delta Phi Epsilon, it can be a daunting task to choose what fits for you and how you can effect great social change or leave a legacy.

Over the next several months my posts will be dedicated to little lessons that, I hope, will help our sisters, young and old to take actions that will add up to big change in our world.  I hope you will join me in this ever-evolving conversation.

Yours In True Sisterhood,
Nicole DeFeo
International Executive Director

4 comments:

  1. A culture of philanthropy is so much more then giving money. It is a spirit, a "habit of the heart" that is a natural instinct. The financial giving of people can be cultivated over time. The "developing a social consciousness in women" to me is/was reflective of the altruistic humanitarian side of our Founders.

    Glad you're opening up a dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all too often when people think of philanthropy they think of giving money. In my mind, giving of your time/talents can often be more meaningful for both the volunteer and the organization that is the recipient of the giving. Developing women who have empathetic hearts and truly care about their fellow man is something we know our organization already does but I think we can bring this value to the forefront. I think this is opening up a very meaningful path for sisters as individuals and Delta Phi Epsilon as an organization. I look forward to seeing what a dialogue about this will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Without jumping too soon into inspired philanthropy, let me quote a book I once read, to the best of my memory- Although the majority part of a comprehensive giving plan is focused on financial gifts, inspired giving often comes from a combination of gifts of time, talents and treasure. Through volunteering, you are able to get an intimate picture of the good an organization does and where they need more help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post. I was reflecting on "the greater good" this morning. Expanding our horizons plays an important role here. Often times we are focused on local initiatives, the here and now projects, and mundane details. But to make a true and meaningful impact, we need to think much bigger than what is around us. We need to establish a "big hairy vision", set lofty goals, stretch our minds, and grow our hearts.

    ReplyDelete